Monday, October 4, 2010

Day 9 Louvie-Juuzon to Biescas- Spain!

Saturday 2nd October 2010 was without doubt the toughest day on a bike i ever spent.
I left my hotel just after 9am ready to cross the mountains from France into Spain.
I had cycled up Alpe Duez before and although its hard, its an hour and and half of pain and then its over, but not the Col de Portalet on a bike weighing almost 30kgs including my luggage.
If there was one consolation it was the scenery - it was magnificent!
I called my brother Paul at the bottom of the climb and it was not that difficult so i was feeling good about the rest of the climb. I had no internet connection the day before and was hoping Paul could give me some info. but he was out training on his bike and couldn't give much on the climb. The climb went up and up and up for about 30kms and since since i could only manage 6kms per hour, well it took along time to get up.
I eventually made it to the top and crossing the border into Spain you couldn't wipe the smile off my face.
Leaving my hotel and France

Halfway up!
I was going to stop at El Formigal at the top of the mountain but i shot down (at 60kms per hour) to Biescas to be a bit closer to final stop in Spain.

2 comments:

  1. You made it man! must be proud =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must've been very emotional making it to the frontier? Well done mate!

    ReplyDelete