Thursday, September 30, 2010

Day 7 Libourne to Roquefort

Left my 3 star hotel this morning at 10am. I was expecting a short day so i wasn't in a big rush.
No problem getting out of the town as the last night i got a map of the town at the tourist office. You can waste a half an hour easily trying to get out of a big town but the map had me out in 5mins.
Stopped at a little shop about 10kms in for supplies (water and sandwiches).
From early on i saw the signs for Bazas which would be my stop for the day so navigating was easy.
Before i knew it i had arrived at Bazas having only covered 65kms. Last night while planning my route i made a mistake as i had Bazas at about 85kms. It was way too early to stop but i hadn't checked the route further on as i was sure i was going to stop at Bazas. A quick phone call to Paul and Sue and they were able to tell me that the next town (Captieux) had 2 hotels in it, so i decided to push on. I arrived there about an hour later but i didn't like the look of the place. I saw the sign for Roquefort 30kms further and was happy to carry on. Today i felt very strong on the bike and felt i had about another 50km in my legs if i needed to go that far. I arrived in Roquefort at about 5.20pm having covered 111kms in 7.25 hours.
I booked straight in to a lovley hotel owened by a Dutch guy for €67 for the night.
I have attached a link on Roquefort cheese to add a bit of culture to the blog!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roquefort

The state of me!


Approaching Roquefort


Roughing it in my bedroom in Roquefort.

Tomorrow i aim to finish in Gan which is the far side of Pau and within striking distance of Spain!

3 comments:

  1. treating yourself ?? nice hotel =) have a good rest, can't believe you are nearly in Spain!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done bro, you're nearly there....get some rest and i'll have a glass of or two :)for ya xxx

    ReplyDelete